Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Staying at home whilst studying
DUSA - Your student association
The Global Room is a social space on City Campus for students to relax, meet new people and celebrate cultural events. They also run a range of online events every week that you can participate in. For more information email GlobalRoom@dundee.ac.uk
Useful Tips For Mature Students
- Studying at university is likely to give you a big confidence boost but it also involves challenges and change for everyone involved. To avoid making those closest to you feel excluded, try to involve your family and friends in what you’re doing.
- If walking into a busy lecture theatre and worrying about being the oldest person there seems like a scary idea – this is understandable. Try not to allow it to ruin your experience. Remember that everyone else will be new as well and probably as anxious as you though for different reasons.
- Be kind to yourself, remember that any life change can take some time to settle down.
- Take advantage of the support systems on offer if you need to; your university wants you to succeed. Don’t suffer in silence. Seek assistance rather than facing challenges alone.
- If you are not sure - please ask! You can get answers to queries and questions at The Enquiry Centre
Adjusting to University Life
Welcome /Freshers Week is a great opportunity for you to get involved in a variety of activities and events. It is also another good chance to meet other new students and familiarise yourself with the campus facilities and buildings. Look out for events which aim to bring students together in the Welcome Events Programme some of which are may be of interest to you or those specifically aimed at Mature Students.
- Local Students Welcome Event for those living in Dundee, Fife, Angus or Perthshire
- Part Time MA Student Welcome Event
- Associate and Co-Curricular Welcome Event
- Direct Entry, 3yr Degree, Global Programmes and Erasmus Exchange Students Welcome Event
- Meet, Mix and Socialise Events – including one for Mature and Postgraduate Students
- Campus Tours
- Tours to local locations – McManus Galleries or Broughty Ferry Castle and Beach
Student societies are groups of like-minded students who aim to promote an activity or cause on campus. It is also the one of the best ways to make new friends, and make the most out of your university life. Trying a new sport or hobby is a perfect break from the academic pattern of student life.
Discounted Rail Travel for Mature Students
Mature Students can also get discounted travel by purchasing a 1 year Rail Card. Information about this here