Skip to Main Content

LIVE Smart: Victim or Witness of Crime

Student guide to living and studying in Dundee. Aligned with LEARN Smart

Crime scene

If you find that being a victim or witness of crime has impacted on your studies, ability to focus, created difficulties with coursework or exams then it would be a good idea to speak to someone from the Student Support Team or DUSA Advice for support and advice about how to get back on track.

You can apply for mitigating circumstances in the event of being a victim of crime remember to say what the impact you have had on your studies because of the bereavement and what your preferred outcome may be e.g. grades to take into account the mitigating circumstances, late submissions to be given no late penalties and in the case of resits, to be given as a first sitting. If you have a crime number or court witness citation (copy) this should be included as evidence on your mitigating circumstances form. If you do not have a crime number or have not reported the matter to the Police - please discuss with a member of the  Student Support Team for guidance.

If you have concerns about someone or a situation the information included in this section will be helpful.



University of Dundee

Get help on campus:

Security staff are present on campus 24 hours a day - they can be reached by calling 01382 385850, or call into the Security Centre located in the Ewing Building. There are also call points located around campus where you can press the button to summon assistance.

Get help off campus:

Emergency Services (Fire, Police, Ambulance) can be called by dialling 999.

Police Non emergency number (where there is no imminent threat or danger) call 101


How to report a crime in Scotland

Information about how to report a crime in Scotland

If you’ve been a victim of crime, it’s your decision whether you want to report the crime to the police.

You may be unsure about the process or feel uncertain about how the police will react. Perhaps you feel that the police won’t care or you’ve had a bad experience with them in the past. Victim Support Scotland can’t tell you what to do, but we can explore your options with you and answer questions about the process of reporting a crime.

Victim support Scotland logo

Concerned about someone?

Concerned about someone?

Online Stalking and Harassment Video

Police Scotland

Freshers Video from Police Scotland Tayside

Reporting sexual assault, harrassment, bullying or hate crime

Reporting sexual assulat, harassment, bulllying or hate crime

Bullying and Harrassment

Bullying and Harrassment

Online harassment, bullying or stalking

Crimestoppers Scotland

Crime stoppers speak up stay safe

You can report crime anonymously at this website if you do not want to report to the Police.


University Counselling Service

People talking

Offers free counselling to students and staff.

Emergency session for people in crisis  - please contact for available times

To find out more or to make an appointment with the University Counselling Service

Opening Hours: 9:00 - 17:00 Monday - Friday

Tel: 01382 384164


Where to find us: Support Hub, OTI Building (see campus map)

Personal Safety

Personal Safety

Domestic violence or abuse

Domestic Violence

Third Party Hate Crime Reporting

Police Scotland

Information on Hate Crime from Police Scotland

Did you know that Hate Crime is any criminal offence committed against an individual or property that is motivated by a person's hatred of someone because of his or her actual or perceived race, religion, transgender identity, sexual orientation or disability?

You can report a Hate Crime as follows:

The University's Enquiry Centre is a Third Party Reporting Centre.

British Council Information for International Students - Interview with a UK Police Officer

Find out about our Police Officers and how they may assist you whilst studying abroad.

An Interview with a UK Police Officer

Student Support Team

The Student Support Team can be contacted via the Enquiry Centre. They can help you to get back on track with your studies through the Stay on Course scheme.

They can help you with a wide range of issues and problems and can refer, if necessary, to other specialist services, within and outside of the university.

Support meetings with students take place in the Enquiry Centre. For students studying at the Fife Campus appointments may be made at the Fife Campus by arrangement. Teams video call and telephone appointments can also be made.

You can contact the Student Support Team for an appointment by filling in the online form hereStudent Support Team